Meaning of sniff
Pronunciation: (snif), [key]
- to draw air through the nose in short, audible inhalations.
- to clear the nose by so doing; sniffle.
- to smell by short inhalations.
- to show disdain, contempt, etc., by or as by sniffing.
- to perceive by or as by smelling: to sniff a scandal.
- to inhale through the nose: to sniff the air.
- an act of sniffing; a single, short, audible inhalation.
- the sound made by such an act.
- a scent or odor perceived: a sniff of perfume.
- sniff (Thesaurus)