Pronunciation: (smuj), [key]
— n., v., smudged, smudg•ing.
- a dirty mark or smear.
- a smeary state.
- a stifling smoke.
- a smoky fire, esp. one made for driving away mosquitoes or safeguarding fruit trees from frost.
- to mark with dirty streaks or smears.
- to fill with smudge, as to drive away insects or protect fruit trees from frost.
- to form a smudge on something.
- to become smudged: White shoes smudge easily.
- to smolder or smoke; emit smoke, as a smudge pot.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.