Meaning of smile
Pronunciation: (smīl), [key]
— v., n. smiled, smil•ing,
- to assume a facial expression indicating pleasure, favor, or amusement, but sometimes derision or scorn, characterized by an upturning of the corners of the mouth.
- to regard with favor: Luck smiled on us that night.
- to have a pleasant or agreeable appearance or aspect, as natural scenes, objects, etc.: The landscape smiled in the sunlight.
- to assume or give (a smile, esp. of a given kind): She smiled a warm and friendly smile.
- to express by a smile: to smile approval.
- to bring, put, drive, etc., by or as by smiling: to smile one's tears away.
- to smile at someone's affectations.
- to regard with pleasure or amusement, as with a smile.
- to regard with mild derision:to smile at someone's affectations.
- the act or an instance of smiling; a smiling expression of the face.
- favor or kindly regard: fortune's smile.
- a pleasant or agreeable appearance, look, or aspect.
- smile (Thesaurus)