skew: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sky), [key]
- to turn aside or swerve; take an oblique course.
- to look obliquely; squint.
- to give an oblique direction to; shape, form, or cut obliquely.
- to make conform to a specific concept, attitude, or planned result; slant: The television show is skewed to the young teenager.
- to distort; depict unfairly.
- having an oblique direction or position; slanting.
- having a part that deviates from a straight line, right angle, etc.: skew gearing.
- (of a dyad or dyadic) equal to the negative of its conjugate.
- (of an arch, bridge, etc.) having the centerline of its opening forming an oblique angle with the direction in which its spanning structure is built.
- (of a distribution) having skewness.
- an oblique movement, direction, or position.
- Also calleda wood chisel having a cutting edge set obliquely.
- skew (Thesaurus)