skeptic: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (skep'tik), [key]
- a person who questions the validity or authenticity of something purporting to be factual.
- a person who maintains a doubting attitude, as toward values, plans, statements, or the character of others.
- a person who doubts the truth of a religion, esp. Christianity, or of important elements of it.
- a member of a philosophical school of ancient Greece, the earliest group of which consisted of Pyrrho and his followers, who maintained that real knowledge of things is impossible.
- any later thinker who doubts or questions the possibility of real knowledge of any kind.
- pertaining to skeptics or skepticism; skeptical.
- (cap.) pertaining to the Skeptics.
- skeptic (Thesaurus)