sir: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sûr), [key]
- a respectful or formal term of address used to a man: No, sir.
- (cap.) the distinctive title of a knight or baronet: Sir Walter Scott.
- (cap.) a title of respect for some notable personage of ancient times: Sir Pandarus of Troy.
- a lord or gentleman: noble sirs and ladies.
- an ironic or humorous title of respect: sir critic.
- a title of respect used before a noun to designate profession, rank, etc.: sir priest; sir clerk.
- sir (Thesaurus)