Meaning of shaker
Pronunciation: (shā'kur), [key]
- a person or thing that shakes.
- a container with a perforated top from which a seasoning, condiment, sugar, flour, or the like is shaken onto food.
- any of various containers for shaking beverages to mix the ingredients: a cocktail shaker.
- a dredger or caster.
- (cap.) a member of the Millennial Church, originating in England in the middle of the 18th century and brought to the U.S. in 1774, advocating celibacy, common ownership of property, and a strict and simple way of life: so called from their practice of shaking during religious services.
- (cap.) noting or pertaining to a style of something produced by Shakers and characterized by simplicity of form, lack of ornamentation, fine craftsmanship, and functionality.
- shaker (Thesaurus)