Meaning of server
Pronunciation: (sûr'vur), [key]
- a person who serves.
- something that serves or is used in serving, as a salver.
- a broad fork, spoon, or spatula for dishing out and serving individual portions of food, as vegetables, cake, or pie.
- an attendant on the priest at Mass, who arranges the altar, makes the responses, etc.
- (in tennis, badminton, handball, etc.) the player who puts the ball or shuttlecock in play.
- a computer that makes services, as access to data files, programs, and peripheral devices, available to workstations on a network. Cf.(in the Addenda).
- server (Thesaurus)