Meaning of self
Pronunciation: (self), [key]
— n., pl. adj., pron., pl. v. selves, selves,
- a person or thing referred to with respect to complete individuality: one's own self.
- a person's nature, character, etc.: his better self.
- personal interest.
- the ego; that which knows, remembers, desires, suffers, etc., as contrasted with that known, remembered, etc.
- the uniting principle, as a soul, underlying all subjective experience.
- being the same throughout, as a color; uniform.
- being of one piece with or the same material as the rest: drapes with a self lining.
- the natural constituents of the body, which are normally not subject to attack by components of the immune system (contrasted with nonself&hasp;).
- myself, himself, herself, etc.: to make a check payable to self.
- to self-pollinate.
- a combining form ofand variously used with the meanings “of the self&hasp;” (self-analysis) and “by oneself or itself&hasp;” (self-appointed); and with the meanings “to, with, toward, for, on, in oneself&hasp;” (self-complacent), “inherent in oneself or itself&hasp;” (self-explanatory), “independent” (self-government), and “automatic” (self-operating).
- self (Thesaurus)