scotch: Meaning and Definition of
- to put a definite end to; crush; stamp out; foil: to scotch a rumor; to scotch a plan.
- to cut, gash, or score.
- to injure so as to make harmless.
- to block or prop with a wedge or chock.
- a cut, gash, or score.
- a block or wedge put under a wheel, barrel, etc., to prevent slipping.
— v.t., n. Masonry.
- scutch (defs. 2, 4).
- of Scottish origin; resembling or regarded as characteristic of Scotland or the Scottish people (used outside Scotland): Scotch plaid.
- Scottish (def. 1).
- (usually l.c.)frugal; provident; thrifty.
- the Scottish people; Scots.
- (often l.c.) See
- Scots (def. 1).
- scotch (Thesaurus)