scintillate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sin'tl-āt"), [key]
— v., -lat•ed, -lat•ing.
- to emit sparks.
- to sparkle; flash: a mind that scintillates with brilliance.
- to twinkle, as the stars.
- (of a spot of light or image on a radar display) to shift rapidly around a mean position.
- (of the amplitude, phase, or polarization of an electromagnetic wave) to fluctuate in a random manner.
- (of an energetic photon or particle) to produce a flash of light in a phosphor by striking it.
- to emit as sparks; flash forth.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.