Meaning of satellite
Pronunciation: (sat'l-īt"), [key]
- a natural body that revolves around a planet; a moon.
- a country under the domination or influence of another.
- something, as a branch office or an off-campus facility of a university, that depends on, accompanies, or serves something else.
- an attendant or follower of another person, often subservient or obsequious in manner.
- a device designed to be launched into orbit around the earth, another planet, the sun, etc.
- of, pertaining to, or constituting a satellite: the nation's new satellite program.
- subordinate to another authority, outside power, or the like: summoned to a conference of satellite nations.
- satellite (Thesaurus)