Meaning of sanctuary
Pronunciation: (sangk'ch-er"ē), [key]
— pl. -ar•ies.
- a sacred or holy place.
- the Biblical tabernacle or the Temple in Jerusalem.
- the holy of holies of these places of worship.
- an especially holy place in a temple or church.
- the part of a church around the altar; the chancel.
- a church or other sacred place where fugitives were formerly entitled to immunity from arrest.
- immunity afforded by refuge in such a place.
- any place of refuge; asylum.
- a tract of land where birds and wildlife, esp. those hunted for sport, can breed and take refuge in safety from hunters.
- sanctuary (Thesaurus)