salon: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (su-lon' Fr. sa-lôn'), [key]
— pl. -lons
- a drawing room or reception room in a large house.
- an assembly of guests in such a room, esp. an assembly, common during the 17th and 18th centuries, consisting of the leaders in society, art, politics, etc.
- a hall or place used for the exhibition of works of art.
- a shop, business, or department of a store offering a specific product or service, esp. one catering to a fashionable clientele: a dress salon; a hair salon.
- (cap.) (in France) Salon des Refusés; Salon des Indépendants.
- the Salon,an annual exhibition of works of art by living artists, originally held at the Salon d'Apollon: it became, during the 19th century, the focal point of artistic controversy and was identified with academicism and official hostility to progress in art.
- a national exhibition of works of art by living artists:Salon des Refusés; Salon des Indépendants.
- salon (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.