rostrum: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ros'trum), [key]
— pl. -tra -trums.
- any platform, stage, or the like, for public speaking.
- a pulpit.
- a beaklike projection from the prow of a ship, esp. one on an ancient warship for ramming an enemy ship; beak; ram.
- (in the forum) the raised platform, adorned with the beaks of captured warships, from which orations, pleadings, etc., were delivered.
- a beaklike process or extension of some part; rostellum.
- a raised platform or dais, esp. one with hinged sides that can be folded and stored within a relatively small space.
- rostrum (Thesaurus)