ritual: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rich'-ul), [key]
- an established or prescribed procedure for a religious or other rite.
- a system or collection of religious or other rites.
- observance of set forms in public worship.
- a book of rites or ceremonies.
- a book containing the offices to be used by priests in administering the sacraments and for visitation of the sick, burial of the dead, etc.
- a prescribed or established rite, ceremony, proceeding, or service: the ritual of the dead.
- prescribed, established, or ceremonial acts or features collectively, as in religious services.
- any practice or pattern of behavior regularly performed in a set manner.
- a prescribed code of behavior regulating social conduct, as that exemplified by the raising of one's hat or the shaking of hands in greeting.
- a specific act, as hand-washing, performed repetitively to a pathological degree, occurring as a common symptom of obsessive-compulsive neurosis.
- of the nature of or practiced as a rite or ritual: a ritual dance.
- of or pertaining to rites or ritual: ritual laws.
- ritual (Thesaurus)