riser: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rī'zur), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- a person who rises, esp. from bed: to be an early riser.
- the vertical face of a stair step.
- any of a group of long boards or narrow platforms that can be combined in stepwise fashion: The choir stood on a horseshoe of risers behind the orchestra.
- a vertical pipe, duct, or conduit.
- a chamber or enlarged opening at the top of a mold for allowing air to escape or adding extra metal.
- a heavy strake of planking in the vicinity of the garboard strake in a wooden vessel.
- rising (def. 10).