rigor: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rig'ur), [key]
- strictness, severity, or harshness, as in dealing with people.
- the full or extreme severity of laws, rules, etc.
- severity of living conditions; hardship; austerity: the rigor of wartime existence.
- a severe or harsh act, circumstance, etc.
- scrupulous or inflexible accuracy or adherence: the logical rigor of mathematics.
- severity of weather or climate or an instance of this: the rigors of winter.
- a sudden coldness, as that preceding certain fevers; chill.
- a state of rigidity in muscle tissues during which they are unable to respond to stimuli due to the coagulation of muscle protein.
- stiffness or rigidity.
- rigor (Thesaurus)