reverse: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ri-vûrs'), [key]
— adj., n., v., -versed, -vers•ing.
- opposite or contrary in position, direction, order, or character: an impression reverse to what was intended; in reverse sequence.
- with the back or rear part toward the observer: the reverse side of a fabric.
- pertaining to or producing movement in a mechanism opposite to that made under ordinary running conditions: a reverse gear; a reverse turbine.
- acting in a manner opposite or contrary to that which is usual, as an appliance or apparatus.
- noting or pertaining to an image like that seen in a mirror; backward; reversed.
- noting or pertaining to printed matter in which what is normally white, as the page of a book, appears as black, and vice versa.
- the opposite or contrary of something.
- the back or rear of anything.
- the side of a coin, medal, etc., that does not bear the principal design (opposed to obverse).
- the side of an ancient coin that was struck by the upper die.
- an adverse change of fortune; a misfortune, check, or defeat: to meet with an unexpected reverse.
- to throw an engine into reverse.
- the condition of being reversed:to throw an engine into reverse.
- a reversing mechanism.
- a play on offense in which one back running laterally hands the ball to another back who is running in the opposite direction and who then makes either an end run or a cutback.
- printed matter in which areas that normally appear as white are printed in black, and vice versa.
- to turn in an opposite position; transpose: The printer accidently reversed two chapters of the book.
- to turn in the opposite direction; send on the opposite course.
- to turn inside out or upside down.
- to change the direction of running of (a mechanism).
- to cause (a mechanism) to run in a direction opposite to that in which it commonly runs.
- to revoke or annul (a decree, judgment, etc.): to reverse a verdict.
- to alter to the opposite in character or tendency; change completely.
- to turn in the opposite order: to reverse the process of evolution.
- to print as a reverse.
- to shift into reverse gear: The driver drove forward, then reversed.
- (of a mechanism) to be reversed.
- to turn or move in the opposite or contrary direction, as in dancing.
- to make a reverse bid.
- reverse (Thesaurus)