retrieve: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ri-trēv'), [key]
— v., n. -trieved, -triev•ing,
- to recover or regain: to retrieve the stray ball.
- to bring back to a former and better state; restore: to retrieve one's fortunes.
- to make amends for: to retrieve an error.
- to make good; repair: to retrieve a loss.
- (of hunting dogs) to fetch (killed or wounded game).
- to draw back or reel in (a fishing line).
- to rescue; save.
- (in tennis, squash, handball, etc.) to make an in-bounds return of (a shot requiring running with the hand extended).
- to locate and read (data) from storage, as for display on a monitor.
- to retrieve game.
- to retrieve a fishing line.
- an act of retrieving; recovery.
- the possibility of recovery.
- retrieve (Thesaurus)