Meaning of retard
Pronunciation: (ri-tärd', for 1–3, 5 rē'tärd for 4), [key]
- to make slow; delay the development or progress of (an action, process, etc.); hinder or impede.
- to be delayed.
- a slowing down, diminution, or hindrance, as in a machine.
- . a hopeless social retard.
- a mentally retarded person.
- a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way:a hopeless social retard.
- an adjustment made in the setting of the distributor of an internal-combustion engine so that the spark for ignition in each cylinder is generated later in the cycle. Cf.
- retard (Thesaurus)