residual: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ri-zij'-ul), [key]
- pertaining to or constituting a residue or remainder; remaining; leftover.
- a residual quantity.
- formed by the subtraction of one quantity from another:a residual quantity.
- (of a set) having complement of first category.
- of or pertaining to the payment of residuals.
- remaining in an organ or part following normal discharge or expulsion: residual air.
- remaining after the soluble elements have been dissolved: residual soil.
- a residual quantity; remainder.
- Often,something that remains to discomfort or disable a person following an illness, injury, operation, or the like; disability: His residuals are a weak heart and light-headedness.
- the deviation of one of a set of observations or numbers from the mean of the set.
- the deviation between an empirical and a theoretical result.
- a slight deviation of an adjusted compass on a certain heading.
- Usually,additional pay given to a performer for reruns, repeated use of a film, radio or TV commercial, or the like, in which the performer appears.
- residual (Thesaurus)