Meaning of require
Pronunciation: (ri-kwīr'), [key]
— v., -quired, -quir•ing.
- to have need of; need: He requires medical care.
- to call on authoritatively; order or enjoin to do something: to require an agent to account for money spent.
- to ask for authoritatively or imperatively; demand.
- to impose need or occasion for; make necessary or indispensable: The work required infinite patience.
- to call for or exact as obligatory; ordain: The law requires annual income-tax returns.
- to place under an obligation or necessity: The situation requires me to take immediate action.
- to desire; wish to have: Will you require tea at four o'clock?
- to demand; impose obligation: to do as the law requires.
- require (Thesaurus)