Meaning of republic
Pronunciation: (ri-pub'lik), [key]
- a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.
- any body of persons viewed as a commonwealth.
- a state in which the head of government is not a monarch or other hereditary head of state.
- (cap.) any of the five periods of republican government in France. Cf.
- (cap., italics.) a philosophical dialogue (4th centuryb.c.) by Plato dealing with the composition and structure of the ideal state.
- republic (Thesaurus)