report: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ri-pôrt', -pōrt'), [key]
- an account or statement describing in detail an event, situation, or the like, usually as the result of observation, inquiry, etc.: a report on the peace conference; a medical report on the patient.
- a statement or announcement.
- a widely circulated statement or item of news; rumor; gossip.
- an account of a speech, debate, meeting, etc., esp. as taken down for publication.
- a loud noise, as from an explosion: the report of a distant cannon.
- a statement of a student's grades, level of achievement, or academic standing for or during a prescribed period of time.
- output, esp. printed, containing organized information.
- a statement of a judicial opinion or decision, or of a case argued and determined in a court of justice.
- a collection of adjudications.
- repute; reputation; fame: a man of bad report.
- (of personnel) under restriction pending disciplinary action.
- to carry and repeat, as an answer or message; repeat, as what one has heard.
- to relate, as what has been learned by observation or investigation.
- to give or render a formal account or statement of: to report a deficit.
- to send back (a bill, amendment, etc.) to a legislative body with a formal report outlining findings and recommendations (often fol. by out): The committee reported out the bill.
- to make a charge against (a person), as to a superior: I intend to report him to the dean for cheating.
- to make known the presence, condition, or whereabouts of: to report a ship missing.
- to present (oneself&hasp;) to a person in authority, as in accordance with requirements.
- to take down (a speech, lecture, etc.) in writing.
- to write an account of (an event, situation, etc.), as for publication in a newspaper.
- to relate or tell.
- to prepare, make, or submit a report of something observed, investigated, or the like.
- to serve or work as a reporter, as for a newspaper.
- to make one's condition or whereabouts known, as to a person in authority: to report sick.
- to present oneself duly, as at a place: to report to Room 101.
- report (Thesaurus)