rend: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (rend), [key]
— v., rent, rend•ing.
- to separate into parts with force or violence: The storm rent the ship to pieces.
- to tear apart, split, or divide: a racial problem that is rending the nation.
- to pull or tear violently (often fol. by away, off, up, etc.).
- to tear (one's garments or hair) in grief, rage, etc.
- to disturb (the air) sharply with loud noise.
- to harrow or distress (the heart) with painful feelings.
- to split or tear something.
- to become torn or split.
- rend (Thesaurus)