Meaning of reciprocal
Pronunciation: (ri-sip'ru-kul), [key]
- given or felt by each toward the other; mutual: reciprocal respect.
- given, performed, felt, etc., in return: reciprocal aid.
- corresponding; matching; complementary; equivalent: reciprocal privileges at other health clubs.
- (of a pronoun or verb) expressing mutual relationship or action: “Each other” and “one another” are reciprocal pronouns.
- inversely related or proportional; opposite.
- noting expressions, relations, etc., involving reciprocals: a reciprocal function.
- bearing in a direction 180° to a given direction; back.
- something that is reciprocal to something else; equivalent; counterpart; complement.
- Also calledthe ratio of unity to a given quantity or expression; that by which the given quantity or expression is multiplied to produce unity:1/x. The reciprocal of x is
- reciprocal (Thesaurus)