quench: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kwench), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- to slake, satisfy, or allay (thirst, desires, passion, etc.).
- to put out or extinguish (fire, flames, etc.).
- to cool suddenly by plunging into a liquid, as in tempering steel by immersion in water.
- to subdue or destroy; overcome; quell: to quench an uprising.
- to terminate (the flow of electrons in a vacuum tube) by application of a voltage.