Meaning of puzzle
Pronunciation: (puz'ul), [key]
— n., v., -zled, -zling.
- a toy, problem, or other contrivance designed to amuse by presenting difficulties to be solved by ingenuity or patient effort.
- something puzzling; a puzzling question, matter, or person.
- a puzzled or perplexed condition; bewilderment.
- a crossword puzzle: Did you do the puzzle in the newspaper today?
- a jigsaw puzzle.
- to put (someone) at a loss; mystify; confuse; baffle: Her attitude puzzles me.
- to frustrate or confound, as the understanding; perplex: The problem puzzled him for weeks.
- to exercise (oneself, one's brain, etc.) over some problem or matter.
- to make intricate or complicated.
- to be perplexed or confused.
- to ponder or study over some perplexing problem or matter.
- to solve by careful study or effort: I was unable to puzzle out the message.
- puzzle (Thesaurus)