pursue: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pur-s'), [key]
— v., -sued, -su•ing.
- to follow in order to overtake, capture, kill, etc.; chase.
- to follow close upon; go with; attend: Bad luck pursued him.
- to strive to gain; seek to attain or accomplish (an end, object, purpose, etc.).
- to proceed in accordance with (a method, plan, etc.).
- to carry on or continue (a course of action, a train of thought, an inquiry, studies, etc.).
- to continue to annoy, afflict, or trouble.
- to practice (an occupation, pastime, etc.).
- to continue to discuss (a subject, topic, etc.).
- to follow: They pursued the river to its source. I felt their eyes pursuing me.
- to continue; go on with (one's course, a journey, etc.).
- to follow in pursuit.
- to continue.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.