provost: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (prō'vōst, prov'ust or, esp. in military usage, prō'vō), [key]
- a person appointed to superintend or preside.
- an administrative officer in any of various colleges and universities who holds high rank and is concerned with the curriculum, faculty appointments, etc.
- the chief dignitary of a cathedral or collegiate church.
- the steward or bailiff of a medieval manor or an officer of a medieval administrative district.
- the mayor of a municipality in Scotland.
- a prison warden.
- provost (Thesaurus)