Meaning of protocol
Pronunciation: (prō'tu-kôl", -kol", -kōl"), [key]
- the customs and regulations dealing with diplomatic formality, precedence, and etiquette.
- an original draft, minute, or record from which a document, esp. a treaty, is prepared.
- a supplementary international agreement.
- an agreement between states.
- an annex to a treaty giving data relating to it.
- the plan for carrying out a scientific study or a patient's treatment regimen.
- a set of rules governing the format of messages that are exchanged between computers.
- Also calleda statement reporting an observation or experience in the most fundamental terms without interpretation: sometimes taken as the basis of empirical verification, as of scientific laws.
- to draft or issue a protocol.
- protocol (Thesaurus)