Meaning of prose
Pronunciation: (prōz), [key]
— n., adj., v., prosed, pros•ing.
- the ordinary form of spoken or written language, without metrical structure, as distinguished from poetry or verse.
- matter-of-fact, commonplace, or dull expression, quality, discourse, etc.
- a hymn sung after the gradual, originating from a practice of setting words to the jubilatio of the alleluia.
- of, in, or pertaining to prose.
- commonplace; dull; prosaic.
- to turn into or express in prose.
- to write or talk in a dull, matter-of-fact manner.
- prose (Thesaurus)