Meaning of proprietary
Pronunciation: (pru-prī'i-ter"ē), [key]
— adj., n., pl. -tar•ies.
- belonging to a proprietor.
- being a proprietor; holding property: the proprietary class.
- pertaining to property or ownership: proprietary wealth.
- belonging or controlled as property.
- manufactured and sold only by the owner of the patent, formula, brand name, or trademark associated with the product: proprietary medicine.
- privately owned and operated for profit: proprietary hospitals.
- an owner or proprietor.
- a body of proprietors.
- the grantee or owner, or one of the grantees or owners, of a proprietary colony.
- something owned, esp. real estate.
- a proprietary medicine.
- Also calleda school organized as a profit-making venture primarily to teach vocational skills or self-improvement techniques.
- proprietary (Thesaurus)