pronunciation: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pru-nun"sē-ā'shun), [key]
- the act or result of producing the sounds of speech, including articulation, stress, and intonation, often with reference to some standard of correctness or acceptability.
- an accepted standard of the sound and stress patterns of a syllable, word, etc.: He said the pronunciation of “curl” is(kûrl),not(koil).
- the conventional patterns of treatment of the sounds of a language: the pronunciation of French.
- a phonetic transcription of a given word, sound, etc.: The pronunciation of “pheasant” is(fez&prim;&schwa;nt).
- pronunciation (Thesaurus)