profane: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pru-fān', prō-), [key]
— adj., v., -faned, -fan•ing.
- characterized by irreverence or contempt for God or sacred principles or things; irreligious.
- not devoted to holy or religious purposes; unconsecrated; secular (opposed to sacred).
- unholy; heathen; pagan: profane rites.
- not initiated into religious rites or mysteries, as persons.
- common or vulgar.
- to misuse (anything that should be held in reverence or respect); defile; debase; employ basely or unworthily.
- to treat (anything sacred) with irreverence or contempt; violate the sanctity of: to profane a shrine.
- profane (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.