Meaning of prime mover
- the initial agent, as wind or electricity, that puts a machine in motion.
- a machine, as a water wheel or steam engine, that receives and modifies energy as supplied by some natural source.
- means of towing a cannon, as an animal, truck, or tractor.
- Also calledthat which is the first cause of all movement and does not itself move.
- a person or thing that initiates or gives power and cohesion to something, as an idea, endeavor, or organization.
- prime mover (Thesaurus)