Pronunciation: (presh'ur), [key]
— n., v., -sured, -sur•ing.
- the exertion of force upon a surface by an object, fluid, etc., in contact with it: the pressure of earth against a wall.
- force per unit area. Symbol: P Cf.(def. 6).
- the state of being pressed or compressed.
- harassment; oppression: the pressures of daily life.
- a constraining or compelling force or influence: the social pressures of city life; financial pressure.
- urgency, as of affairs or business: He works well under pressure.
- that which is impressed.
- to force (someone) toward a particular end; influence: They pressured him into accepting the contract.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.