prescribe: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pri-skrīb'), [key]
— v., -scribed, -scrib•ing.
- to lay down, in writing or otherwise, as a rule or a course of action to be followed; appoint, ordain, or enjoin.
- to designate or order the use of (a medicine, remedy, treatment, etc.).
- to lay down rules; direct; dictate.
- to designate remedies, treatment, etc., to be used.
- to claim a right or title by virtue of long use and enjoyment; make a prescriptive claim. (usually fol. by for or to).
- prescribe (Thesaurus)