Pronunciation: (prep), [key]
— n., adj., v., prepped, prep•ping.
- a preliminary or warm-up activity or event; trial run: The race is a good prep for the Kentucky Derby.
- preparation: dealer prep on the car included.
- the act of preparing a patient for a medical or surgical procedure.
- preparatory: a prep school.
- involving or used for preparation: the mortuary's prep room.
- to prepare (a person) for a test, debate, etc.
- to prepare (a patient) for a medical or surgical procedure, as by shaving and washing the skin with an antibacterial soap.
- to prepare (a vehicle or craft) for sale, use, a test drive, or a race.
- to prepare; get ready: to prep for the game.
- to attend a preparatory school.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.