prairie: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (prâr'ē), [key]
- an extensive, level or slightly undulating, mostly treeless tract of land in the Mississippi valley, characterized by a highly fertile soil and originally covered with coarse grasses, and merging into drier plateaus in the west. Cf.
- a tract of grassland; meadow.
- (in Florida) a low, sandy tract of grassland often covered with water.
- wet grassland; marsh.
- (cap.) a steam locomotive having a two-wheeled front truck, six driving wheels, and a two-wheeled rear truck. See table under
- a historical novel (1827) by James Fenimore Cooper. Cf.
- prairie (Thesaurus)