polynomial: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pol"u-nō'mē-ul), [key]
- consisting of or characterized by two or more names or terms.
- (in one variable) an expression consisting of the sum of two or more terms each of which is the product of a constant and a variable raised to an integral power:ax2 + bx + c is a polynomial, where a, b, and c are constants and x is a variable.
- a similar expression in more than one variable, as 4x2y3 − 3xy + 5x + 7.
- Now Rare.Also calledmultinomial.any expression consisting of the sum of two or more terms, as 4x3 + cos x.
- a polynomial name or term.
- a species name containing more than two terms.
- polynomial (Thesaurus)