poison: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (poi'zun), [key]
- a substance with an inherent property that tends to destroy life or impair health.
- something harmful or pernicious, as to happiness or well-being: the poison of slander.
- any variety of alcoholic liquor: Name your poison!
- to administer poison to (a person or animal).
- to kill or injure with or as if with poison.
- to put poison into or upon; saturate with poison: to poison food.
- to ruin, vitiate, or corrupt: Hatred had poisoned his mind.
- to destroy or diminish the activity of (a catalyst or enzyme).
- causing poisoning; poisonous: a poison shrub.
- poison (Thesaurus)