plea: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (plē), [key]
- an appeal or entreaty: a plea for mercy.
- something that is alleged, urged, or pleaded in defense or justification.
- an excuse; pretext: He begged off on the plea that his car wasn't working.
- an allegation made by, or on behalf of, a party to a legal suit, in support of his or her claim or defense.
- a defendant's answer to a legal declaration or charge.
- (in courts of equity) a plea that admits the truth of the declaration, but alleges special or new matter in avoidance.
- Obs.a suit or action.
- See (def. 4b).
- plea (Thesaurus)