Meaning of platoon
Pronunciation: (plu-tn'), [key]
- a military unit consisting of two or more squads or sections and a headquarters.
- a small unit of a police force.
- a company or group of persons: a platoon of visitors.
- a group of players specially trained in one aspect of the game, as offense or defense, and used as a unit: a halfback on the offensive platoon.
- to use (a player) at a position in a game alternately with another player or players.
- to alternate (two different teams or units), as separate offensive and defensive squads.
- to alternate at a position with another player or players.
- to use players alternately at the same position.
- to alternate different teams.
- platoon (Thesaurus)