philosopher: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (fi-los'u-fur), [key]
- a person who offers views or theories on profound questions in ethics, metaphysics, logic, and other related fields.
- a person who is deeply versed in philosophy.
- a person who establishes the central ideas of some movement, cult, etc.
- a person who regulates his or her life, actions, judgments, utterances, etc., by the light of philosophy or reason.
- a person who is rationally or sensibly calm, esp. under trying circumstances.
- an alchemist or occult scientist.
- philosopher (Thesaurus)