period: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pēr'ē-ud), [key]
- a rather large interval of time that is meaningful in the life of a person, in history, etc., because of its particular characteristics: a period of illness; a period of great profitability for a company; a period of social unrest in Germany.
- any specified division or portion of time: poetry of the period from 1603 to 1660.
- a round of time or series of years by which time is measured.
- a round of time marked by the recurrence of some phenomenon or occupied by some recurring process or action.
- the point of completion of a round of time or of the time during which something lasts or happens.
- a specific length of time during school hours that a student spends in a classroom, laboratory, etc., or has free.
- any of the parts of equal length into which a game is divided.
- the time during which something runs its course.
- the present time.
- the point or character (.) used to mark the end of a declarative sentence, indicate an abbreviation, etc.; full stop.
- a full pause, as is made at the end of a complete sentence; full stop.
- a sentence, esp. a well-balanced, impressive sentence: the stately periods of Churchill.
- a periodic sentence.
- an occurrence of menstruation.
- a time of the month during which menstruation occurs.
- the basic unit of geologic time, during which a standard rock system is formed: comprising two or more epochs and included with other periods in an era. See table under
- the duration of one complete cycle of a wave or oscillation; the reciprocal of the frequency.
- a division of a composition, usually a passage of eight or sixteen measures, complete or satisfactory in itself, commonly consisting of two or more contrasted or complementary phrases ending with a conclusive cadence.
- Also calledperiod of rotation.the time in which a body rotates once on its axis.
- Also calledperiod of revolution.the time in which a planet or satellite revolves once about its primary.
- See under(def. 5).
- a group of two or more cola.
- noting, pertaining to, evocative of, imitating, or representing a historical period or the styles current during a specific period of history: period costumes; a period play.
- (used by a speaker or writer to indicate that a decision is irrevocable or that a point is no longer discussable): I forbid you to go, period.
- period (Thesaurus)