pen: Meaning and Definition of
— n., v., penned, pen•ning.
- any of various instruments for writing or drawing with ink or a similar substance.
- a detachable metal penpoint, filled by dipping or with a quill; nib.
- such a penpoint with its penholder.
- fountain pen.
- ball-point pen.
- the pen as the instrument of writing or authorship: The pen is mightier than the sword.
- a person's style or quality of writing: He writes with a witty, incisive pen.
- a writer: I leave this story to abler pens.
- the profession of writing: a master of the pen.
- a quill.
- a pinfeather.
- something resembling or suggesting a feather or quill.
- an internal, corneous or chitinous, feather-shaped structure in certain cephalopods, as the squid.
- to write with or as with a pen; put down in writing: to pen an essay.
- to draw with or as with a pen: to pen a sketch.
— n., v., penned pent, pen•ning.
- a small enclosure for domestic animals.
- animals so enclosed: We have a pen of twenty sheep.
- an enclosure used for confinement or safekeeping: We have built several pens to hold our harvest of corn.
- a dock having a protective concrete structure overhead, used to service and repair submarines.
- to confine in or as in a pen.
— n. Slang.
- penitentiary (def. 1).
- a female swan.
- var. ofbefore a vowel: penannular.
- International Association of Poets, Playwrights, Editors, Essayists, and Novelists.
- pen (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.