pedestal: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ped'u-stl), [key]
— n., v., -taled, -tal•ing -talled, -tal•ling.
- an architectural support for a column, statue, vase, or the like. See diag. under
- a supporting structure or piece; base.
- a support for a desk, consisting of a boxlike frame containing drawers one above the other.
- a columnar support for a tabletop.
- a bulge cast at the bottom of a concrete pile.
- to glorify; idealize: When we first became engaged each of us set the other on a pedestal.
- to put on or supply with a pedestal.
- pedestal (Thesaurus)