parliament: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (pär'lu-munt or, sometimes, pärl'yu-), [key]
- (usually cap.) the legislature of Great Britain, historically the assembly of the three estates, now composed of Lords Spiritual and Lords Temporal, forming together the House of Lords, and representatives of the counties, cities, boroughs, and universities, forming the House of Commons.
- (usually cap.) the legislature of certain British colonies and possessions.
- a legislative body in any of various other countries.
- any of several high courts of justice in France before 1789.
- a meeting or assembly for conference on public or national affairs.
- fan-tan (def. 1).
- parliament (Thesaurus)